Tummy Tuck in Ottawa with Dr. Loizides
A tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, is cosmetic surgery to flatten and tighten the abdomen by removing unwanted fat and loose, sagging skin that has stretched due to age, weight loss, or pregnancy. When the abdominal muscles have separated as a result of pregnancy or weight changes, the procedure reconnects them for a firmer, stronger belly. The result is a slimmer, flatter, and attractively contoured midsection.
Dr. Photis Loizides offers tummy tuck surgery in Ottawa to women and men with loose abdominal skin or unwanted bulges who would like a more toned-looking midsection. Dr. Loizides is a plastic surgeon fully accredited with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. With his extensive training and deep expertise in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, he consistently helps patients achieve the changes they are seeking with natural-looking results.
To learn more about how tummy tuck surgery might benefit you, contact our practice today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Loizides. We are dedicated to serving patients in Ottawa, Quebec, and Montreal.
Why Choose Dr. Loizides for Your Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Dr. Photis Loizides is highly trained, board-certified, and committed to patient satisfaction through optimal care and premium, natural-looking results. Dr. Loizides and his team put patients at ease throughout the whole experience, from when they reach out for a consultation to their final follow-up appointment. Dr. Loizides properly educates patients before embarking on a procedure and is easy to reach with questions and concerns. For these reasons and more, Dr. Loizides is considered one of the best tummy tuck surgeons in Ontario.
Why Might I Consider Tummy Tuck Surgery?
Pregnancy and significant weight loss can leave loose, hanging skin on the abdomen — skin that has lost the resilience to shrink naturally to the body’s slimmer dimensions. Stubborn pockets of excess fat can accumulate around the waistline. Abdominal muscles can be stretched and weakened in ways that the body can’t correct on its own. All these unwanted changes can be corrected with a tummy tuck.
A tummy tuck can:
- Remove excess skin from your abdomen, smoothing and flattening skin that has stretched and sagged
- Eliminate bulges of stubborn, exercise- and diet-resistant fat from your midsection
- Tighten and tone abdominal muscles that have stretched, separated, and weakened with pregnancy and weight changes
- Flatten a protruding belly
- Give definition to your waistline, pulling it in where it has expanded
- Transform a flabby midsection into one that is slimmer, toned, and younger-looking
Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?
The best candidates for tummy tuck surgery have realistic expectations for the results of the procedure and an understanding of the risks. It’s important to recognize that a tummy tuck is a body contouring procedure and not intended as a weight loss procedure. You may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty if you:
- Are bothered by loose, saggy, or hanging skin on your abdomen
- Have lost weight with diet and exercise, but your belly still protrudes because of weakened abdominal muscles
- Have pockets of fat in your midsection that resist slimming with diet and exercise
- Are in generally good health and close to your ideal weight
Tummy tuck surgery is not generally recommended if you:
- Smoke and are unable to quit for several weeks before and after the procedure
- Are significantly overweight
- Have certain health conditions, such as diabetes or heart problems
- Planning on having children
If you are a woman who plans to get pregnant, you may want to wait to have a tummy tuck until you are done having children. Abdominal muscles that are reconnected in a tummy tuck can separate in a future pregnancy.
The highest standard of plastic surgery
Extensive training and surgical expertise allows Dr. Photis Loizides to consistently help patients achieve their desired, natural-looking results. He is a plastic surgeon fully accredited with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Loizides, please get in touch.
How Is Tummy Tuck Surgery Performed?
Tummy tuck surgery is performed under general anesthesia.
- Two incisions are made: one across the lower part of the abdomen, close to the pubic area, from hipbone to hipbone, and the other around the navel.
- If the abdominal muscles have separated, they are pulled together and reconnected with internal sutures.
- Excess fat is removed, often with liposuction, to reach areas of fat around the waistline and in the upper portion of the abdomen.
- Excess skin is removed, and the remaining skin is pulled smooth over the flattened, slimmer midsection.
- The navel may be moved and reattached in a more natural-looking position.
- The incisions are closed, and a sterile dressing is applied.
Tummy tuck surgery usually takes between two to five hours, the length of the procedure depending on the extent of the changes to be made.
After the procedure is complete and you are fully alert, you will be able to go home. You should arrange ahead of time to have a friend or family member drive you home when you are discharged and stay with you for at least the first night.
What to Expect in Recovery
Expect to feel some discomfort in the first week or so, and plan to spend a few days resting quietly at home. You’ll need help around the house for the first two or three days, longer if you have young children, as you won’t be able to lift them (or anything heavy) for a few weeks.
Dr. Loizides will provide you with complete instructions regarding:
- activities that are recommended and those that should be avoided
- care of the incisions
- steps to take to manage swelling and discomfort
- when to come in for follow-up visits to check on your progress
The recovery process varies from person to person, but most patients require one to two weeks off work. Typically, light activities and exercise can be resumed after two weeks. Other activities can gradually be resumed after four to six weeks.
Delivering real results
Opting to have plastic surgery is an enormous decision. We understand.
We want to intimately understand your goals and align on expectations.
Schedule Your Ottawa Tummy Tuck Consultation Today
Contact Dr. Loizides’ practice to schedule a consultation for a tummy tuck with Dr. Loizides. He will conduct a thorough examination, ask questions to understand your goals for the procedure, and give his recommendations for the best and safest approach.